Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Economy Challenge

Ok everyone knows it sucks. ANd if you read my other stuff you know I have been saying for years we have gotten ourselves into it. So what can we do to get out of it?

My theory is that it fell apart from the local levels up. SO what can we each do as individuals to support the economy?

Post your ideas on the comments

Mine:
No area can sustain itself in a service industry only. Retail, consulting, janitorial, reapir are all services. So I try to support all local people who make and sell a product. If I need a premade dessert, I go to the local baker, not to the chain store, If I need a dress made I go to a local tailor. I buy food from the farmer's markets and local growers as much as I can. If I cannot find it locally made, then i try to find somethin in a local store chain or not. If that does not work, then I hit the internet and try to find a US manufacturer. If that does not work, I select a product from a country I choose to support financially who seems to have supported us in the past. I do not boycott any country specifically,but I do refuse to buy from certain comapnies that have moved all operations overseas.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Honestly poeple need to start living w/in their means and not off credit and such.

Julie said...

Those are sound ideas. I try to do that, but when I needed a new car eight years ago, I found that I couldn't afford an American made one -- even though I was buying used. Same when I purchased Cheryl a car last spring. We ended up going foreign because we couldn't find a decent American car in our price range. Could we have lived without some of the extras -- probably -- but why should Cheryl drive a car with crap accessories just so we can buy American?

Zeta Thompson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.